Something to read
I had to write something today because I really want to keep this blog fresh and with new stuff.
I was finally able to reconnect with a friend who I hadn't spoken to since the summer this afternoon. Just two months before the storm. I was happy to know that he is ok and back at home. I am sad to report that not all employers are treating their coworkers well. I have heard news of one who didn't pay their workers for the first week of service after the storm. That is cold!
Mardis Gras seems to be in the news lately. In the local newpaper was a front page report on the difference between local and out of town revellers. The point was to show that out of towners are the rowdy ones who throw beads for skin and drink till they pass out. They showed a pic of woman showing off her assets and a parallel pic of locals with family - good clean fun. But they sorta didn't block all the skin in the first picture. Yes, something was peaking out there for all to see. Apperently they tried to get the papers back but it was too late. They just printed the rest with a block over it. From what I hear.
Personally, I just don't get mardis gras right now. I know it's a big thing, I know it's a part of culture and tradition - history. It's just that so many are so devastated, I just don't see the point. Is Mardis Gras really so wonderful that it's the only thing we have to boast about? I don't see it. Why should that be our big, we are still here alive and breathing statement to the world?
Elections will be the next big burner I'm sure on the national news front. Be on the look out for that.
On a personal note - I miss home. I miss my coworkers. I am actually in a better situation now than before, but I had to leave someplace I've been for the past ten years. Like quitting smoking or something cold turkey or divebombing into a freshwater pool instead of wading in slowly. It wasn't much, honestly. But it was home.
I was finally able to reconnect with a friend who I hadn't spoken to since the summer this afternoon. Just two months before the storm. I was happy to know that he is ok and back at home. I am sad to report that not all employers are treating their coworkers well. I have heard news of one who didn't pay their workers for the first week of service after the storm. That is cold!
Mardis Gras seems to be in the news lately. In the local newpaper was a front page report on the difference between local and out of town revellers. The point was to show that out of towners are the rowdy ones who throw beads for skin and drink till they pass out. They showed a pic of woman showing off her assets and a parallel pic of locals with family - good clean fun. But they sorta didn't block all the skin in the first picture. Yes, something was peaking out there for all to see. Apperently they tried to get the papers back but it was too late. They just printed the rest with a block over it. From what I hear.
Personally, I just don't get mardis gras right now. I know it's a big thing, I know it's a part of culture and tradition - history. It's just that so many are so devastated, I just don't see the point. Is Mardis Gras really so wonderful that it's the only thing we have to boast about? I don't see it. Why should that be our big, we are still here alive and breathing statement to the world?
Elections will be the next big burner I'm sure on the national news front. Be on the look out for that.
On a personal note - I miss home. I miss my coworkers. I am actually in a better situation now than before, but I had to leave someplace I've been for the past ten years. Like quitting smoking or something cold turkey or divebombing into a freshwater pool instead of wading in slowly. It wasn't much, honestly. But it was home.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home